Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day in the Bahamas

Well, for starters I haven't posted since we got here because I have been too busy trying to do NOTHING. However, these three kids of mine keep getting in the way of the whole nothing thing. Tater, Posey, and I all have horrible coughs and runny noses. Nobody has really been sleeping all that well. It is getting better. And, it seems that the only time Nosey is truly happy in the pool is when Poppy is around, and Poppy has been feeling pretty crummy too so hasn't been around as much as I would have liked.

Last night, as I was laying Tater Tot down for the eleventh time in his Pack n Play, Cookie comes to me hugs me really hard and says "I don't want Poppy to die". He continued by saying that if Poppy died then it would be such a long, long time til he would see him again. You stop wondering where these come from with Cookie, and immediately address his heart, which apparently is breaking at this point. He of course, is crying his eyes out, and I am left speechless (believe it or not, parenthood has done that to me a few times). I tried to reassure him and he says that Poppy is really old and how sad it all is. He reminds me that Poppy is my daddy, in case I forgot. I asked if it would make him feel better to go give Poppy a hug, and he took off running. That seemed to do the trick best of all. Nothing like a hug from Poppy.

Two things stick out to me in this. One, is again how sensitive Cookie really is. I have never met another child remotely like him, and I have met a lot of kids in my day. He wears his heart on his sleeve and feels things so deeply. This will create many life lessons for us both in the years to come I am sure. Secondly, is how sure of his own salvation he is. The faith of a child is a beautiful thing. He just knows without question that God loves him and forgives him and that is enough. I pray that it will always be that way for him.

Well, this Father's Day is a bittersweet one for us. Yes, we are in the Bahamas away from all of life's pulling-at-you stuff. But, Chris isn't here with us. He may not even be able to come at all. He is tied up at home with some stuff that just can't wait. If that all turns out well, then it will definitely be worth it. However we are sad he is not here with us. On the other hand, I am the only one of my dad's kids here with him on Father's Day. I wish everyone could be here with us!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments: